Makalu Base Camp Trek
Makalu base camp trek yet another trekking destination that is well appreciated by the trekkers. Makalu with the altitude of 8475m is the 5th highest mountain in the world known for its utterly marvelous untouched natural beauty. Situated very close to Everest region Makalu Base Camp trek takes you through the beautiful Makalu Barun National Park and Conservation Area. The park is recognized internationally for its exquisiteness along with the diversity of flora and fauna. Some of the endangered species of flora and fauna found in the park includes Rhododendrons, Orchids, Snow Leopard, Red Panda, Musk deer, Wild boar, Wild Yak, Himalayan Thar along with more 420species of native as well as migratory birds. Some locales have also informed about the view of elusive Himalayan giant the Yeti time and again.
Makalu Base Camp Trek begins from Tumlingtar which is situated in mid-eastern Nepal which is an hour away flight from Kathmandu. The actual walk begins from Chiclila which is 3-hour’s drive from Tumlingtar. Following the beautiful Barun river valley in the Makalu Barun National Park and conservation area we will cross passes like Shipton La, Keke La and lakes like Kalopokhari all the way to Base Camp which is situated at the altitude of 5000m. On the way we will be awed by the jaw dropping view of Mt Makalu along with Everest, Lhotse, Chamlang, Baruntse with the hodgepodge of many others. The whole area gives you the vibe of remote wilderness enclosing some of the pristine forests and alpine meadows of Nepal.
Makalu base camp trek require utmost 5-6hours of walk daily. Walking to the high mountains through the thrilling passes is the part of your adventure journey. Anyone with prior trekking experience and in good shape can make through this fairly challenging trek. The trek is purely a camping trek and no lodges are available in the route.
Supplier of services: ClimberCA Inernational Consortium. About Us
Quick reference phone: +99898 3039846 - telegram; +99897 7009846 - whatsapp/viber
Note: ClimberCA offers to you the best service & the firm prices of all kind of services we offer on our web-pages. Some services, which we offer to you, are truly unexampled.
Day 1: Kathmandu Arrival
As soon as you land on the Tribhuwan International Airport our representative will pick you and transfer to the hotel.
Day 2: Fly to Tumlingtar and drive to Chichila(1840m)
Enjoy the 45minutes morning flight from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar through the Himalayas. As we reach Tumlingtar we will meet our trek crew, have lunch and then drive in 4WD vehicles through a rough road to Chichila. Stay overnight in camp.
Day 3: Trek to Num (1500m); 6-7hours
We will start with a gradual uphill climb through the forest for about 2hours and then trail descends by a small river where you walk in a flat land for around one hour to reach Num. Num is a small village with many teahouses offering a distant view of Himalayas.
Day 4: Trek to Sedua(1493m); 6-7hours
Leaving Num behind us the trail steeply descends through the forests and terraced fields to Arun River. Crossing a suspension bridge the trail ascends through forests and few villages taking us to the village of Sedua. There is a check post and an office of Makalu Conservation Area. Stay overnight at camp in Sedua.
Day 5: Trek to Tashigaon(2057m); 4-5hours
Initially the trail slightly goes uphill but major part of the walk is flat and easy through the bushes. Passing the hillside through quiet villages and small paddy fields we will reach to the village of Tashigaon. Tashigaon is a big Sherpa village surrounded by dense forest with prayer flags fluttering in the wild. Stay overnight at camp.
Day 6: Trek to Kauma Kharka(3500m); 5-6hours
We will start the walk through the dense forest and after a gradual uphill climb we will arrive to a sort of alpine meadow. After having lunch we will climb to a ridge and finally arrive in a grazing area at Kauma Kharka. Stay overnight in camp.
Day 7: Trek to Dobato(3700m);7-8hours
We will start with a steep climb towards the summit of Shipton La(4229m) which takes few hours. The pass offers the superb Mountain View. After crossing the pass we will make our way through the Rhododendron forest to the beautiful valley of Dobato. Stay overnight in camp.
Day 8: Trek to Yangri Kharka(3620m); 5-6hours
Leaving Dobato behind us the trail steeply descends through the Rhododendron Forest of Barun River. Following the River we will arrive to our high pasture campsite in Yangri Kharka which is situated in the base of the valley. Stay overnight in camp.
Day 9: Trek to Lengmale Kharka(4400m)
Following the river upstream and witness the regal vista of Himalayas we will trek to an alpine meadow of Lengmale Kharka for overnight stay.
Day 10: Trek to Sherson(4500m)
We will start the climb through Yak pastures and boulder fields in a complete high alpine environment to Sherson. From Sherson the southern flank of Mt Makalu and Barun glacier comes into view. Stay overnight in camp.
Day 11: Explore Makalu Base Camp (5100m) / Everest View Point Ridge and trek back to Sherson; 7-8hours
Climb to Makalu Base Camp for the breathtaking views on the way. Return back to the campsite have lunch and climb to 5000m on the ridge to the north for the views of Makalu, Cho Oyu, Nuptse, Everest and many other. Stay overnight in camp in Sherson.
Day 12: Trek to Yangri Kharka
We will descend down to the valley following Barun River which finally takes us to Yangri Kharka.
Day 13: Trek to Dobato; 5hours
The trail descends through the small bushes of Rhododendron for around 4hours. Later the path goes uphill through the jungle all the way to Dobato. Stay overnight in camp.
Day 14: Retracing our path back we will re-cross the Shipton La pass and descend down to Kauma Kharka. Stay overnight in camp.
Day 15: We will descend for around 6hours through the dense forest to Sedua via Tashigaon. Stay overnight in camp.
Day 16: Trek to Num
We will start the day with a steep descend to Arun River Valley. Crossing the River the trail goes uphill through a ridge which takes us to Num.
Day 17: Trek to Chichila(5hours) and drive to Tumlingtar
The trek starts early in the morning through the ridge which takes us to Chichila. From here we will catch a ride back to Tumlingtar. Stay overnight in camp.
Day18: Fly back to Kathmandu
Early in the morning we will catch a scenic flight back to Kathmandu over the Himalayas. After having lunch we will have plenty of time for sightseeing and shopping.
Day 19: Free day in Kathmandu
Today we can enjoy either shopping or sightseeing or simply have rest.
Day 20: Farewell
You will be transferred to Tribhuwan International airport for your onward journey.
What is included
- All airport/hotel transfers
- Three nights’ accommodation in 3-star hotel in Kathmandu, two nights in guest house in Nepalgunj/Juphal and tented accommodation in mountain.
- All domestic flights (Kathmandu-Nepalgunj -Jhuphal-Nepalgunj-Kathmandu)
- Guided sightseeing tour in Kathmandu
- Breakfast in Kathmandu and all meals and boiled water in mountain
- All ground transportation as per the itinerary program by private vehicles
- All necessary staffs with experienced English speaking climbing leader (guide), cook, assistant climbing leader (4 trekkers: 1 assistant guide) and Sherpa porters to carry luggage (2 trekkers:1 porter), other helpers (1 trekker: 2 helpers) including their salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodging
- All necessary paper works; special trekking permit for Lower Dolpo trek
- Camping equipments-very high quality North Face or Mountain Hardware or similar kitchen, dining, toilet tents, mattresses, and kitchen equipments
- Travel and rescue arrangements
- Welcome and farewell dinner
- Exclusive Medical Kit Bag
- All government and local taxes
What Is excluded
- Nepal Visa fee (bring accurate USD cash and two passport photographs)
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- Excess baggage charges (if you have more than 20 kg luggage, cargo charge is around $1.5 per kg)
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure, early return from mountain(due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
- Altitude chamber (PAC) or oxygen
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu(and also in the case of early return from mountain than the scheduled itinerary)
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottled water, shower, heater, etc.)
- Optional trips and sightseeing if extended
- Tips for guides and porters